Tuesday, May 02, 2006

chick pea soup


It sounded odd. I make every other kind of bean soup, but never chick pea. I had just come across a cache of dried garbanzos. A massive amount of hummus? too much, and too short a refrigerator life, once prepared. So I googled "chick pea masala" and came up with some soups. But that's not what I made. All I did was soak chick peas overnight, changing water several times. Boiled the chick peas in fresh water until soft. This took about an hour. Added a couple of chopped carrots, onions, celery, and two mashed cloves of garlic. Cooked until vegetables were soft. Added 4 cubes vegetable bouillon, salt, pepper, a teaspoon of cumin. When it was done I pureed about half in the blender and added it back to the pot. (You can see there are still whole chick peas.) Finally, stir in the juice of half a lemon.

This cooks.com recipe is probably better but more ambitious. I'll make it sometime. But will probably use cubed cooked sweet potato in place of the acorn squash...easier.

No comments: