Friday, July 03, 2009

The 3rd of July


We celebrated the 3rd of July today. I took my bike to Towner's on University Avenue. I had not been there in many years, and I recalled that the last time, I was told that the bike was not up to their standards. Fine. I will get new inner tubes, install my Hello Kitty bell, and ride it to work in summer.
I weeded the garden for five hours (time flies), including hacking away at the overgrown rhododendron, Rose of Sharon, lilac, forsythia, and wisteria. Even the tarragon and oregano Sara gave me in 2007 had spread dramatically. The tarragon is over three feet tall. I need to learn to make some things with tarragon, other than Poulet a l'Estragon. I was fresh out of poulet.

After a long bath and four Ibuprofen I set about to making a seasonal dinner: butter lettuce with feta and strawberries. Fresh pea soup with tarragon, mint and Greek yogurt. Corn fritters. Fresh figs.





At the market on Thursday, where I met Alayna and complained about the number of people smoking while they shopped, I bought three eggplant, a head of broccoli, a butter lettuce, a flat of figs, strawberries and blueberries. A farmer from Penn Yann was selling fresh peas for $3 a bag. He harvests them and then "The Mennonites" have a machine that removes them from the pods. I have shelled peas and it takes forever, so I am glad the Mennonites have this technology.




The soup: boil the peas. for about 5 minutes with the ribs of a head of Butter lettuce. Chop finely a large Vidalia onion and microwave it in some olive oil until it is very soft, about 3-4 minutes. While it is cooking, add to the peas some chopped fresh mint and tarragon. Salt, pepper.

Puree the peas/lettuce and onions with some skim milk and then put it through a food mill to make it smooth. Serve with yogurt and mint.




Corn fritters were one of my mother's favorite comfort foods. Drain a small can of corn. Make a basic pancake mix with flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, eggs and buttermilk. Salt, pepper. Mix in the corn and fry like pancakes. A trip back to the Fifties.



Happy Fourth.

No comments: